100% of the shots you don’t take don’t go in
– Wayne Gretzky (legendary ice hockey player)
On the door of our computer room, located just next to the dinning area, which is the center of our universe, I have posted many affirmations for everyone to read. Since the door is limited in size, I have migrated to the other doors, all the way to the toilet. Every spare space my family members stand next to for longer than a minute is a good place to put an inspiring expression or poem. Mirrors, doors, walls, books and albums – everything works.
You see, when kids grow up, many of them end up on the therapist’s couch, saying “What on earth did my mother want from me?”, so I make it easy for my kids to know what I want from them. I write it for them, so they have no need to guess.
Just like in a hockey game you need a player, a stick, a puck, concentration and, most importantly, a goal, in life you need a person, a healthy body, motivation, focus and goals. If you want to succeed in the game of life, you actually need to lift up your stick and shoot.
Statistically, 90% of all people do not have any goals in life. Life happens to them instead of them controlling their own destiny. I want my kids to be in the other 10%. This is so important, that all millionaires and billionaires have goals, but the difference is that billionaires read their goals more times each day.
The reason most people in our world are not successful is that they do not distinguish between being alive and living. Whereas being alive is watching a hockey game, living is actually playing.
There is a nice story about a Jewish man who went every week to the Wailing Wall to stick a note saying “God, please let me win the lottery”. This man was very religious and a great believer so for 30 years, every week, with great dedication, he want to the Wailing Wall to put a note for God with the same request.
The archangel Gabriel, who picked up the notes every night, felt very sad for the old man. In one of his meetings with God, he said, “O’ mighty God, this man is a great believer. He is a good man who gives to charity. It breaks my heart to see that every week, rain or shine, in sickness and in health, he comes to the Wailing Wall and asks you to let him win the lottery. Is there any thing we can do? Can you just once let him win the lottery?”
And God Replied, “I would have given him his prize long ago, if only he bought a ticket”.
Many people want things in life. This is human nature. But not all are willing to buy a ticket. I remember wanting to be an author for a long time and the great feeling I got from pursuing this dream.
My dear wonderful kids, the love of my life!
Life comes with no real insurance. You will meet many people on the game of life, some dream and others live their dream. Some play the game and others watch from a distance. Some have goals and others do not. Some have courage and others have fears.
Follow the people with the motivation to give life a go, the ones that actually aim and hit the puck. Sure, not all your shots will hit the goal, but I want you to know that “100% of the shots you don’t take won’t go in”. All you need is a goal and focus. When you have them both, shoot!
It is just like buying the lottery ticket.
This post is part of the series Things I Want My Kids to Know:
- Things I want my kids to know: I will come!
- Things I Want My Kids to Know: Shoot!
- Things I Want My Kids to Know: The Door is Always Open
- Things I Want My Kids to Know: Leave the “How” To the Universe
- Things I Want My Kids to Know: Rise Up!
- Things I Want My Kids to Know: Listen!
- 100 Tips for My Children