Children thrive with encouragement. If kids were plants, their environment would be the soil, while encouragement and support would be the water and sun they need in order to grow and blossom.
Children who receive positive encouragement grow up to have very strong emotional stamina. Their emotional intelligence helps them manage challenges, difficulties and failure. These skills form the basis of growing up to be successful people. Parents, teachers and caregivers are those who can give us these skills.
Here is a list of 20 positive feedback starters that encourages kids to keep doing something you would like to support and promote. You can change the ending to suit whatever it is you want to encourage.
- “You’ve done a wonderful job at … picking up the toys”
- “It was an excellent idea to … make a strong foundation for the Lego building”
- “You must be very proud of yourself for … submitting the assignment on time”
- “Wow! That was a very impressive … presentation”
- “You are a pleasure to have as a … son/student”
- “You did a great job of … preparing yourself for the test”
- “You have really learned how to … tie your shoelaces”
- “I can see you have put in a lot of effort into … this art work/homework/project”
- “You have worked so hard on … this project”
- “You are a real … friend/leader/problem solver”
- “You have improved so much in … your presentation skills”
- “It makes me really proud to see … how generous you are”
- “That was a very creative way of … resolving the conflict”
- “That is such a cool way to … dress”
- “It is beautiful to see you … growing/learning/coming up with new ideas”
- “It was a brilliant idea to … use the cup as a cookie cutter”
- “It was a fabulous job”
- “You have grown up so much because you … express yourself very well now”
- “I am so appreciative that you … helped me clean the house today/set the table/ do the shopping”
- “You are a very good … listener/friend/son/helper”
Use these feedback starters often. Be generous with your praise. The more you encourage your kids in the things they do well, the more they will do them.