Many people ask me about my great skin. I have heard it so many times that I am already convinced that I have great skin. I went to the shopping center last week and stopped at a stall to get my make-up done, just for fun. The make up artist told me numerous times, “You have great skin” while she was putting creams and make-up on my face.
“What kind of moisturizer do you use?” she asked me.
When I told her it was just a simple moisturizer from the supermarket, she was very surprised. She told me she knew of people who bought 50ml jars of moisturizer that supposedly contained rocks from outer space for $3,000!
I never knew that. Did you?
I am not very surprised that people sell such things but I am surprised there are enough people who believe in such things and are willing to buy enough of them to make them worth selling. Of course, I also immediately think of how many families can be fed with $3,000.
“So how do you explain this beautiful, tight skin?” she asked.
I thanked her every time she complimented me, but I said, “As much as I would like to take the credit for it, I cannot. The trick is to know how to choose your mother. You see, I inherited this skin from my mum. Her skin still looks great and she is 70 years old”.
When I was young, I went to a beauty seminar. A beautiful woman came to talk to us about how to take care of our skin. She showed us 50 brands of moisturizers and said that all the brands did the same things no matter how expensive they were and that the cheapest way to maintain a healthy skin is by drinking lots of water.
So we decided to test her theory and we drank tap water. Let me tell you, it was not an easy thing to do. With lots of effort and four girls supporting each other, we managed to get to an average of 7 glasses a day.
Surprisingly, all the people around us started telling us we looked great. We were each in a different office and spent out days with different people and they asked us, “What have you done with your skin?” At that point, we knew she had been right.
Years later, when I did a course in Reiki, our instructor told us that most health problems could be solved by drinking water and that most people were dehydrated. She had a 1 litter water bottle and she kept drinking from it and refilling it.
Two years ago, I heard a man talking about health and he talked again about water. “We need to drink 1 liter per 22 kilograms of body weight”, he said and it all connected for me.
Drinking water is very important for our health and, many problems can be fixed by drinking plenty of water.
So here are some tips to help you drink plenty of water:
- Drink 1 liter per 22 kg of body weight. Find out how much you weight and then how much you need to drink each day
- Find your favorite water temperature. If you like your water cold, make sure you have enough bottles in the fridge
- Get a water bottle with an easy-to-drink top
- Take your water bottle with you everywhere
- Arrange a place in the car for your water bottle (and the others’)
- We are most dehydrated in the morning after not drinking for 8 hours. Put a water bottle next to your bed and drink it first thing in the morning (this will help move yesterday’s food along too)
- Leave post-it notes for yourself with a reminder “Drink Water”
- Create reminders on your computer that will pop up every hour and tell you to drink water. In a research done at Stanford University’s School of Medicine, it was found that computer-generated messages were very effective in encouraging people to exercise. Why not do the same with drinking?
Whenever you look at someone who has great skin, remember you have the power to change yours too by drinking plenty of water. Put systems in place to get you into the habit of drinking water and notice how much better you feel and look. And if you do have a parent who gave you this skin, remember to be grateful :) .